Make Your Own Probiotic-Packed Sauerkraut at Home with This Easy Recipe!
Here's a simple recipe for making sauerkraut at home:
- 1 head of cabbage (green or purple)
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt
- Optional: caraway seeds or other spices
- Large mixing bowl
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- Glass jar with a lid
- Weight (such as a clean rock or a small jar filled with water)
- Remove the outer leaves of the cabbage and set them aside.
- Cut the cabbage in half and remove the core. Then, thinly slice the cabbage into shreds.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the shredded cabbage and sea salt. Massage the cabbage with your hands until it starts to release its juices. This will take about 5-10 minutes.
- Add any optional spices or seasonings, such as caraway seeds, and mix well.
- Transfer the cabbage mixture into a glass jar, pressing down firmly to remove any air bubbles. Leave about 1-2 inches of space at the top of the jar.
- Take the reserved cabbage leaves and place them on top of the cabbage mixture, tucking them in around the edges.
- Place a weight on top of the cabbage leaves to keep the mixture submerged in its own juices. This will help prevent mold growth.
- Cover the jar with a lid and place it in a cool, dark place for at least 1 week. You can taste it after a week and leave it to ferment for longer if you prefer a stronger flavor.
- Once the sauerkraut has reached your desired taste, transfer it to the refrigerator. It will keep for several months.
Enjoy your homemade sauerkraut as a tasty and healthy addition to salads, sandwiches, and other meals!