Try the 4-7-8 Breathing Technique for Improved Sleep and Lowered Blood Pressure
Today, we wanted to show you how you can activate your body's relaxation response by doing the ‘4-7-8 Breathing Technique’.
Here it is:
- Find a comfortable place to sit with your back straight.
- Place your tongue against the back of your top teeth and keep it there.
- Exhale completely through your mouth around your tongue, making a whoosh sound. Purse your lips if it helps.
- Close your lips and inhale through your nose for a count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth making a whoosh sound for a count of eight.
- This completes one cycle. Repeat for three more cycles.
You can practice the 4-7-8 breathing anywhere and at any time. When you're first learning, try to practice at least twice a day, but you can do it as often as you want. Only do it for four cycles in a row in the beginning. After you get used to it, you can work up to eight cycles.
Do this 4-7-8 breathing anytime you feel stressed. It will become more powerful as you use it. Practice doing it before you respond to an upsetting situation and whenever you're having trouble getting to sleep. We hope it works for you too.